10 January 2008

Thirteen Things That Don't Suck About Surgery


If it is Thursday, 1/10/08 and you're reading this, I'm probably under the knife.

I'm a veteran of several surgeries, including (but not limited to) two hip replacements and two procedures on my right foot. I now set off airport alarms with regularity.

It's now time to get the left foot fixed up. So if I'm scarce for the next 7-10 days, that's why. :) I'm not looking forward to it, but there is always a bright side (hence the Monty Python-style foot graphic)!

1. If you have it close to Thanksgiving (Which I've done. Twice.) you get an automatic free pass on any holiday activity you find annoying/cumbersome/fattening. This includes holiday baking. Honestly, no one missed it.

2. If you're lucky, your Mom comes to take care of you for a few weeks.

3. If you're not, you're at the mercy of your hubby and kids. And dogs. On the upside, they appreciate you more when they see how much slack they have to take up around the house.

4. Cuddling dogs 24/7.

5. Help with one's bath.

6. Help getting dressed and undressed. There's something to be said for the sight of your loved one kneeling at your feet, putting on your socks.

7. No one bugging you to get off the laptop and get out of the chair. Because if you get up and move around, someone has to be there to spot you. You're better off in one place.

8. Someone else cooks.

9. Your food is brought to you on a tray.

10. No one complains that you watch TV all day, because until the need for painkillers passes, that's literally all you can do.

11. Mmmmm. Painkillers. Yes, must mention the good drugs. No, there's no danger I'll get addicted - most of them make me violently ill unless I take an anti-nausea drug with it.

12. Back massages.

13. Knowing that in 6 weeks the pins will be out and my feet will match for the first time in 3 years.

View more Thursday Thirteens!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Come check out my bok bok Blog for Thrusday Thirteen! I love your list!

THE GREAT THING? THE KIDS ARE SUPPOSED TO LEAVE YOU ALONE!

Tink said...

I almost wan to get surgery after reading your list! Almost though! ;-) I hope everything goes well and you'll have a speedy recovery.
My TT gives you 13 expensive cities to live in!

pussreboots said...

May you have a quick recovery. Happy TT.

MsSnarkyPants said...

Awww I hope the surgery goes well! Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Speedy healing and may all the wonderful benefits linger long after the pain is a vague memory. Especially the back massages!

~X