If it is Thursday, 1/10/08 and you're reading this, I'm probably under the knife.
I'm a veteran of several surgeries, including (but not limited to) two hip replacements and two procedures on my right foot. I now set off airport alarms with regularity.
It's now time to get the left foot fixed up. So if I'm scarce for the next 7-10 days, that's why. :) I'm not looking forward to it, but there is always a bright side (hence the Monty Python-style foot graphic)!
1. If you have it close to Thanksgiving (Which I've done. Twice.) you get an automatic free pass on any holiday activity you find annoying/cumbersome/fattening. This includes holiday baking. Honestly, no one missed it.
2. If you're lucky, your Mom comes to take care of you for a few weeks.
3. If you're not, you're at the mercy of your hubby and kids. And dogs. On the upside, they appreciate you more when they see how much slack they have to take up around the house.
4. Cuddling dogs 24/7.
5. Help with one's bath.
6. Help getting dressed and undressed. There's something to be said for the sight of your loved one kneeling at your feet, putting on your socks.
7. No one bugging you to get off the laptop and get out of the chair. Because if you get up and move around, someone has to be there to spot you. You're better off in one place.
8. Someone else cooks.
9. Your food is brought to you on a tray.
10. No one complains that you watch TV all day, because until the need for painkillers passes, that's literally all you can do.
11. Mmmmm. Painkillers. Yes, must mention the good drugs. No, there's no danger I'll get addicted - most of them make me violently ill unless I take an anti-nausea drug with it.
12. Back massages.
13. Knowing that in 6 weeks the pins will be out and my feet will match for the first time in 3 years.
View more Thursday Thirteens!