29 November 2007

Thirteen Random Things That Happened On My Birthday

Aside from a number of military "massacres", natural disasters and random plane crashes that happened on my birthday (Hmm, is there a pattern there?) Nov. 29 is a fairly quiet day in history! :) It was interesting to find out the birthdays of some famous writers fall on this day:

1. Louisa May Alcott born, 1831

2. C.S. Lewis born, 1898

3. Madeleine L’Engle born, 1918

4. Margaret Tudor, English princess and Queen of James IV was born, 1489. The daughter of Henry VII of England, she became the wife of James in a political marriage known as the "Union of the Thistle and the Rose". It was through her bloodline that King James VI of Scotland was able to base his claim to the English crown on the death of his cousin, Elizabeth I.

5. Admiral Richard Byrd first to fly over South Pole, 1929

6. Thomas Edison demonstrates hand-cranked phonograph for the first time, 1877

7. Bonnie Prince Charlie’s troops occupy Carlisle and move into Manchester, 1745

8. U.S. rations coffee; Scotland rations petrol, 1942

9. Beatles release “I Want to Hold Your Hand”, 1963

10. Bill Gates coins the term “Micro-Soft” in a letter to Paul Allan, 1975.

Also this Month, pretty darned near my birthday:

11. Blackbeard killed off coast of North Carolina, Nov. 22, 1718

12. St. Andrew’s Day, Nov. 30. Patron saint of Scotland.

13. Stone of Destiny, stolen from Scone by King Edward I of England in 1296, returned to Scotland and installed in Edinburgh Castle. Nov. 30. 1996.

Bonus: It’s National Raisin Bread Month!

17 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

Happy Birthday a day early! Hope you're feeling better!

Carolan Ivey said...

I am feeling better, thanks!

MsSnarkyPants said...

Happy Birthday! Look at all those fabulous people who share your birthday! Now I'm curious what happened on my birthday...

YellowRose said...

To add to your list, my birthday is also in the month of November as is my wedding anniversary! Wishing you a very happy birthday!!

Carol B. Goodman said...

Try going to Wikipedia and typing in your birth date. It brings up all kinds of things!

Carolan Ivey said...

Thanks everyone! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh how I remember I wanna Hold your hand in 1963..
those were the days...
Happy Birthday to you.

Open Grove Claudia said...

Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate! I hope it's as wonderful of a day as Thomas Edison had! :)

Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

WOW on number 9. Madelene L'Engle was one of my favorite authors.

Happy Birthday and many more.

Anonymous said...

Was that the British or US release of I Wanna Hold... ?

Nice to meet a fellow Sagittarian! It's a wel known fact that Sagittarius is the best sign.

Coco said...

Happy (early) Birthday! :)

Anonymous said...

Great blog about your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Today is my son's 13th birthday too. :D

Great list!

Denise Patrick said...

And, on this day in 1780, Maria Theresa, Empress of Austria died. Read all about her in my TT!

Great list - these are my favorite kind.

And. . .Happy Birthday . . .hope you get to do whatever YOU want to do today!

Happy TT!

pussreboots said...

I'll add one more; today is my mother's birthday. Happy Birthday to you too. Happy TT. :D

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, doll baby!

Tink said...

Happy (very) belated birthday! Thanks for visiting my magic quotes TT last week. Sorry I'm late; I got the flu.