05 April 2007

It's Tartan Day!


If you just clicked in here and think the bagpipes are a little louder and the kilts a-swinging a little more vigorously than usual, there's a reason for that! It's Tartan Day!

For anyone with a drop of Scottish blood in their veins, this is the day to wear your clan colors with pride! Even if you just wish you were Scottish, most Scots don't care if you wear a clan color, as long as you wear it with pride.

"Americans of Scottish descent have played a vibrant and influential role in the development of the United States. From the framers of the Declaration of Independence to the first man on the moon, Scottish-Americans have contributed mightily to the fields of the arts, science, politics, law, and more. Today, over eleven million Americans claim Scottish and Scotch-Irish roots -- making them the eighth largest ethnic group in the United States. These are the people and accomplishments that are honored on National Tartan Day, April 6th."
--Source: www.tartanday.org

Through my mother's side of the family, I can claim connection to not one but two Highland clans - the MacPhersons and the MacNaughtens. A few years ago, I even had the pleasure of visiting the MacPherson clan museum in my ancestral "home town" of Newtonmore. Although my husband and I pulled into the parking lot right at closing time, the docent on duty delayed his dinner to walk us personally around the museum for almost an hour. All I remember thinking was that he looked remarkably like my grandfather, right down to the shape of his nose! The area of North Carolina I come from is well-known as an area that a lot of Highlanders came to settle in order to escape British rule.

If you'd like a peek at our trip to Scotland, visit my web site, click on "Fun Stuff", then go to the photo gallery.

Below is a fun, easy and decadent traditional Scottish recipe for Drunken Crumble. Enjoy!

DRUNKEN CRUMBLE

Filling:
1½ pounds raw rhubarb
3 fluid ounces of whisky (about 6 tablespoons)
Grated lemon and orange rind to taste
4 ounces light brown sugar
1 teaspoon allspice

Topping:
2 cups flour
Half a stick of butter
about a half cup sugar
Grated rind of one lemon
One teaspoon ground coriander
One teaspoon allspice

Method:
Clean and chop the rhubarb into pieces and put in a 2-pint pie dish. Add the other ingredients for the filling and stir well.
Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter - the mixture will eventually look like small breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, grated lemon rind, coriander and spices and mix well. Sprinkle the topping over the rhubarb.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for thirty minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with ice cream.

Enjoy!


MacPherson Tartan


MacNaughten Tartan

So what is it about Scotland that you find so compelling? Why can we not resist a fine-looking man in a kilt? Leave a comment and you could win a hand-beaded bookthong. Thanks for visiting!

17 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

The accent. And the braw legs! Can't wear a kilt with chicken legs, y'know. ;)

Bronwyn Green said...

Where to begin...

The accent is the obvious place, then there's the sexy legs...the broad chest...the flowing hair...the eyes that have seen too much...

Hmmmm...this is beginning to sound like a character sketch. :)

Thank you so much for posting the photos of Scotland. I absolutely loved them. So...I noticed you picked up a bodhran in Ireland - will you be posting Ireland pictures, as well?

Carolan Ivey said...

Sela - ya know, I'm of two minds on that. A nice set of legs is always a plus! But no matter how his legs look, there's something sexy about a man who's comfortable enough in his own skin to wear the kilt. :D

Bronwyn - Since both my Scotland and Ireland pictures were taken before we owned a digital camera, I'll have to dig out the albums and scan some from the Ireland trip!

Anonymous said...

I have Dutch-Scotch roots and have always loved reading books about Scotland. I always pictue in my mind a hero that looks like Sean Connery. Wow

Carolan Ivey said...

I agree, Joye - I never get tired of looking at or listening to Sir Sean!

Gia Dawn said...

Reminds me a joke I once heard.
The American walks into the pub and says to the Scottsman "So, what do you wear under that kilt?"
Without even a smile the Scottsman replied, "Yer wife's lipstick."
Gia

Carolan Ivey said...

ROFL! Good one, Gia!

Sandra said...

I think my fascination about Scotland came about because I've always felt that I was born in the wrong place and century. Always wanted to live in a castle and have loved all the pictures that are shown from Scotland. It's so green and coming from over-populated San Diego,CA, seeing green and open spaces is a breath of fresh air.

Then whenever I hear the accent, I just zone and listen. Was lucky to hear a woman from Scotland talk once. Just made me want to go even more to visit.

I love looking at (or reading about)the old kilts (or tartans) and wondering where to get one and also a nice Scottish laddie to show me the proper way to wear it. *smile*

Then there is the age-old question every woman always wants to know: "What's under your kilt?" Maybe one day I will meet a good strong looking highlander or even lowlander and be able to have him show me the answer. *smile*

In the end, for whatever reason, Scotland has always been a favorite place of mine (even though I've never been there before). With second place, going to Ireland.

Carolan Ivey said...

Sandra, you should have seen me when I got off the plane in Glasgow. I was surrounded by Scottish accents and I just stopped in the middle of the terminal to close my eyes and listen. LOL

On my flight home, I was lucky enough to sit next to a Scotswoman who was on her way to Texas to join her husband. We talked the entire flight - I hope she hadn't been planning on sleeping!

Carolan Ivey said...

Well said, Earlene. All I know is, when I hear a bagpipe, I feel it right down to my bones. In a good way. LOL

Sandra said...

I love the sound of bagpipes. Make beautiful music, they do. At least when played right. *smile*

Carolan Ivey said...

[[played right]] My son has asked for a practice chanter for his birthday. On one hand, I'm thrilled he wants to learn the pipes. On the other hand... I wonder if there's a way to sound proof his room? LOL

Anonymous said...

2 words:
Easy Access :)

Carolan Ivey said...

Bwaaahahahahaaaaa!!!

Trust you to cut right to the chase, Margo. [snicker]

Anonymous said...

I guess we all love a man in kilts because we can get our fill at seeing those wonderful legs and wondering JUST WHAT DOES HE HAVE UNDER THAT KILT!!!!!!

robynl said...

for me it is the accent and their playfulness. I also love the music-bagpipes.

Carolan Ivey said...

Thanks to everyone who came to my Tartan Day ceilidh! I woke up this morning, looked at the post-party debris littering the room, and mumbled, "Why's the whisky gone?" LOL

Congratulations to SANDRA - I drew your name from the Balmoral cap. I don't know your last name or your email (blogger wouldn't show it to me), so if you're reading this, please private-email me your name and address so I can send you your goodies.

Now I simply must return to my blog and supervise the kilted hotties who are cleaning up after us. :)

Slan,
Carolan