26 April 2007

RT: Day 1 complete!

Hi everybody!

It's after 1 a.m. and I'm draggin' butt, but having an amazing time at RT. It's so much fun to meet everyone I've only "met" via email up to now - Crissy, Jess, Angie, etc.

J.C. Wilder and I did a whirlwind tour of New Orleans and the bayou country of Louisiana on Tuesday. We spent Monday night at the Maison Dupuy in the French Quarter, then had cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde on Jackson Square the next morning. After a carriage ride/tour of the quarter, J.C. showed me around some of the damaged areas of New Orleans. A lot of clean up has been done, but there are still thousands of abandoned houses, many with the search team shorthand still spraypainted on the front.

After that she took me out to some of her favorite spots on the bayou south of Houma. Needless to say we pulled in to Houston VERY late and basically went straight to sleep! Some people called us crazy for taking the side trip to the Crescent City, but it was so worth it, especially with J.C. as my tour guide. Her love for this area is evident.

The internet connection here is iffy, but I'll try to check in when I can.

No comments: